- Romanticism emphasized the individual, the subjective, the irrational, the imaginative, the personal, the spontaneous, the emotional, the visionary, and the transcendental
- used detailedrealismto suggest thatsocial conditions, heredity, and environmenthad inescapable force inshaping human character
- refers generally to a high regard forclassical antiquity, as setting standards for taste which the classicists seek to emulate
- The art of classicism typically seeks to be formal and restrained
- Is thephilosophicaldoctrine suggesting thenegationof one or more putativelymeaningfulaspects oflife.
- Most commonly, nihilism is presented in the form ofexistential nihilismwhich argues that life is without objective meaning, purpose, orintrinsic value.