Essay on A Separate Peace and The Catcher in the Rye
Write a critical essay in which you discuss two works of literature you have read from the particular perspective of the statement that is provided for you in the Critical Lens. In your essay, provide a valid interpretation of the statement, agree or disagree with the statement as you have interpreted it, and support your opinion using specific references to appropriate literary elements from John Knowles'A Separate Peace and J.D. Salinger’sThe Catcher in the Rye. [No quotations are necessary.]
"When youthful idealism meets the hard realities of life, a conflict is inevitable." --Author Unknown
"When youthful idealism meets the hard realities of life, a conflict is inevitable."
Be sure to
• Use John Knowles'A Separate Peace and J.D. Salinger’sThe Catcher in the Rye
to support your opinion.
• Use the criteria suggested by the critical lens to analyze the works.
to develop your analysis. [In other words, use examples from the books.]
• Organize your ideas in a unified and coherent manner.
• Specify the titles and authors of the literature you use. [*If you do not underline the titles OR place them in italics, you will lose half a letter grade.]
• Follow the conventions of standard written English.
When analyzing literature, keep in mind the following questions:
Why does the author do this?
How does it contribute to meaning?
When analyzing symbolism consider:
Literal: What is is? Context: What happens before and after?
Symbolic: What it represents Language: Does the author use words or sentences differently?
Evidence: Why you think x = y Imagery: What colors, objects, or images appear?
Meaning: Why it’s important Tone: What is the author’s (or character’s) attitude?