English Language Arts Workshop
What is ELA Workshop?
ELA Workshop is a class designed to provide students with essential skills and strategies to become effective readers and writers. Our goal is to provide students with reading and writing skills that will enhance their content area reading. Our exciting program consists of five skills based classes. The classes are:
· Study Skills
· Word Study
· Book Club
Seventh and eighth grade students have been thoughtfully placed into one ELA Workshop class per quarter and will switch to a new class at the start of the next quarter.
Sixth grade ELA Workshop is a full year program addressing the skills listed above. The students will stay with the same teacher throughout the year working on their reading needs.
Class Policies & Procedures:
· ELA Workshop is a graded class which meets every other day.
· Effort and participation will be factored into the final grade.
· Students are required to keep an organized binder which will be kept in their ELA Workshop room. Binders will be graded at the end of each quarter.
· Tests or quizzes will be announced and included in the final grade.
· Diagnostic testing will be administered in the fall and spring to better meet the needs of the students.
· Homework will be given occasionally and will be posted on the board. Students are required to bring their daily agenda with them to all classes.
ELA Workshop students can meet with me for extra help in room 212. My extra help schedule can be found posted outside of room 212 as well as on the PORTNET website. If at any time extra help is needed, students can schedule a time to meet with me.